Long Reach High Evacuated Due to Overheated Electrical Equipment
No one is injured, according to school official.
Equipment overheated in the electrical room at Long Reach High School Tuesday morning, causing the school to evacuate, according to the school's principal.
At 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 25, a fire alarm sounded and the building was evacuated "as a precaution," Principal David Burton said in an email to parents.
A piece of equipment had overheated and begun to smoke, said Burton.
The Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services was not dispatched, according to spokeswoman Jackie Cutler, who noted that several schools were holding fire drills on Tuesday.
Students and staff reentered the building at 9:55 a.m., according to Burton.
As of Tuesday afternoon, Burton said technicians were still on-site working on repairs at Long Reach High School, and one elevator was not working. He said that nobody was injured in the incident.
"All students and staff are safe," said Burton.