Flu cases are on the rise, according to Flu Trends, a Google-run site that uses search data to estimate the prevalence of the disease around the world in real time.
The latest figures indicate that flu activity in Maryland is in the high to intense range. At this time last year, the incidence of the virus was considered low to moderate in the state.
The story is much the same for the Washington, D.C. area, where flu activity also registers in the high to intense range.
In general, the Southeast is seeing the U.S.'s highest levels of flu activity, while the West is seeing lower infection rates.
The best places to escape the flu, according to the site: South America, South Africa, and Australia.
Or—better yet—consider getting a flu shot. (Find a flu shot location near you with this Flu Vaccine Finder.)
See related coverage:
See More on Patch
- Police Who Died in Line of Duty in Howard County to be Honored
- Woman Found Shot to Death in Car in Columbia (Update)
- Witnesses Describe Scene at Fatal Tough Mudder Jump
- Police to Howard County Students: ‘I’m Begging You Not To’ Drink in Ocean City
- First Fatal Case of Human Rabies in Maryland Since 1976