If your child is old enough, the time has come to register him or her for kindergarten.
Every child who is 5 years old by Sept. 1 must enroll in kindergarten, or have a waiver, according to the Howard County school district.
District officials are recommending that children are registered soon, as school staffing is based on enrollment numbers.
Kindergarten registration is occurring between Feb. 25 and March 1st at several Elkridge area schools, according to school newsletters.
You register your child by contacting your child’s school to schedule an appointment, district officials said.
The following items are needed to register your child for kindergarten, according to Elkridge area schools:
• Parent photo I.D. (driver's license, military ID, or passport)
• Child’s current proof of immunizations – (baby books not accepted)
• Signed original, current lease or deed with address, valid dates, signatures
• Current utility bill with name and address (telephone, gas and electric, cable bill)
• Child’s proof of birth (birth certificate, baptismal certificate, hospital certificate, passport, military ID)
· Proof of parental relationship, custody, or guardianship
Non-English speakers can find information here on required documentation, according to Elkridge school officials.
The following are the elementary schools in and near Elkridge:
Deep Run Elementary School, 6925 Old Waterloo Road, Elkridge; 410-313-5000
Elkridge Elementary School, 7075 Montgomery Road, Elkridge; 410-313-5006
Ducketts Lane Elementary (opening in August)
Rockburn Elementary School, 6145 Montgomery Road, Elkridge; 410-313-5030
Bellows Springs Elementary School, 8125 Old Stockbridge Drive, Ellicott City; 410-313-5057
A list of all Howard County elementary schools, all of which have all-day kindergarten, can be found here.
For further questions, contact the Howard County school district’s Office of Elementary Administration at 410-313-6609
See related coverage:
VIDEO: Kindergartners Prepare for the First Day of School
PHOTOS: First Day of School in Howard County
Report: Board Chooses Name for New Elkridge Elementary School